Alternative Nursing Careers Outside the Hospital
With the healthcare industry booming and registered nurses in exceptionally high demand, there are many reasons to get a BSN degree from CSP Global and transition into the field of nursing.
Studies show that only about 55% of all registered nurses in the U.S. work in hospitals. Within the hospital, nurses work in a variety of settings, such as the emergency department, oncology, medical-surgical nursing and maternity. The other 45% of nurses are choosing alternative nursing careers. There are numerous opportunities available to nurses outside the traditional hospital setting.
The demand for home nurses, or private agency nurses, has grown significantly in recent years and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. An increased focus on wellness and preventive care, as well as the need for organizations to be prepared in the event of an emergency, means nurses are also in demand in everyday places such as:
- Community centers
- Correctional facilities
- Nursing homes
- Urgent care or walk-in clinics
- Cruise ships
- Amusement parks
Non-Traditional Nursing Specialties
In addition to the traditional nursing opportunities available to RNs, they can also find work as:
- Clinical nurse instructors
- Health coaches
- Medical and pharmaceutical sales representatives
- Medical writers
- Legal nurse consultants
- Nurse informaticists
- Forensic nurses
- Nurse risk managers
- Nurse recruiters
- Clinical research nurses
- Public health nurses
As you can see, there’s a lot you can do with your BSN degree beyond the bedside. Whether you choose to work in a hospital setting or in one of these alternative nursing careers, CSP’s ABSN program can help you make your dream of becoming a nurse a reality.
Contact an admissions counselor if you are ready to pursue a rewarding career as a nurse.